- Chocolate or vanilla cake recipe or boxed mix
- 2 cups vanilla icing
- Red, blue, green, yellow, orange gel paste food colour
- Plastic paintbrushes
- 1” round cookie cutter
Prep and Cook
- 1Bake cake in a 9” x 13” baking pan as per recipe direction. Remove cake from oven and allow it to cool completely. Once cooled, wrap cake in two layers of plastic wrap and place in freezer for at least one hour.
- 2Remove cake from freezer and cut edges to create a ‘palette’ shape. Using the round cookie cutter, cut a hole in the cake near the curve of the palette.
- 3Set aside ½ cup of the icing and frost the cake with the remainder, taking care to make the icing as smooth as possible. Place cake in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to set the icing.
- 4While cake is in the refrigerator, divide remaining icing into 5 equal portions and tint each one with a different food colouring to create the ‘paint’ icing for the palette.
- 5Remove cake from the refrigerator and smear the ‘paint’ icing onto the cake around the bottom of the palette. Dip two clean and unused paintbrushes in the icing to appear paint covered and lay them on the palette.
- 6Scatter a few paintbrushes around the cake and coat them with leftover icing, if desired.