Makes 1, 9’ x 13’ cake
- 1 9” x 13” cake, store-bought or homemade
- 2 cups white icing
- Blue decorator icing
- Red decorator icing
- #32 piping tip (star)
- #6 piping tip (round)
- Coupler ring (to attach tip to decorator icing tube)
- 1 1½” round cookie cutter (or similar size glass)
- Plastic hockey nets
- Hockey stick and puck candles
- Foil cake pan
Prep and Cook
- 1Bake or buy a rectangular cake. Transfer the cake to a 9” x 13” x 3” foil cake pan in order to create the ‘boards’ that go around the perimeter of the rink.
- 2Using a palette knife, spread the white icing over the top of the cake, taking care to fill in any gaps between the cake and the foil pan.
- 3Attach the star tip to the red decorator icing and pipe the centre line down the centre of the cake. Place the plastic nets in the middle of the short sides of the rectangle and pipe another red line in front of each net.
- 4Using a round cookie cutter, or the rim of a glass, mark the centre ice and other faceoff circles. Remove the star tip from the red icing and wash it. Attach the round tip to the tube of red icing and pipe along the circle lines. Using the same tip, create small red dots in the centre of the circles and between the red and blue lines as illustrated in the photo.
- 5Attach the clean star tip to the blue decorator icing tube and pipe the blue lines about halfway between the two red lines. Press the hockey puck candle into the centre ice circle and place two hockey stick candles on either side.
Tagged under: hockey cake,ice rink birthday cake,hockey birthday