Save the pizza take-out for another day, and whip up this quick-to-assemble asparagus tart that’s bursting with flavour thanks to the blanket of lemon bechamel tucked beneath the asparagus, pancetta and feta.
- 12 asparagus spears, ends trimmed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 roll puff pastry
- Egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 Tbsp water)
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole milk
- zest of one lemon
- ½ cup cooked pancetta
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 2Place the asparagus in a mixing bowl and coat with olive oil and black pepper and set aside.
- 3Unwrap puff pastry and lightly dust with flour. With a rolling pin, roll pastry once in each direction. Transfer dough to a parchment-lined baking sheet and create a border around the pastry by folding over approximately ½ inch of the edge. Brush border with the egg wash. Using a fork, pierce pastry bottom at ½ ince intervals. Place puff pastry in the oven to bake for 6 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Add flour and cook for 1–2 minutes. Whisk in milk, lemon zest, salt and black pepper and stir until thick and bubbling. Remove from the stovetop and set aside.
- 5When pastry has finished baking, pour the lemon sauce into the pastry, spreading out evenly to the edges.
- 6Arrange asparagus spears to fit crosswise alternating tips and ends inside pastry, evenly sprinkle the pancetta and feta. Bake until the asparagus is tender and the pastry is golden brown, approximately 8–10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve warm.