Beefy Black Bean Soup
Quick to prepare and loaded with kid-friendly, budget friendly ingredients, this soup is sure to please!
- 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil
- ½ medium onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 lb (500 grams) extra lean ground beef
- ½ cup (½ cup) canned black beans, drained, rinsed, puréed
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned black beans, drained, rinsed
- ¼ cup (60 mL) frozen corn niblets
- 1 medium potato, diced, skin on
- 2 cups (500 mL) low-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups (250 mL) low-sodium vegetable juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 tsp (2 mL) cumin
- 1 tsp (2 mL) chilli powder
- ½ tsp (1 mL) ground coriander
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
Prep and Cook
- Sauté onion, garlic and carrot in canola oil, 5 minutes, set aside.
- Pan fry beef until browned, drain, rinse and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients in large soup pot.
- Cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender and soup is hot, about 20-30 minutes.