Black Bean Quinoa Salad
This salad combines two foods packed with fibre and protein (black beans & quinoa)—a perfect pairing for a satisfying meal.
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- ½ cup (125mL) quinoa
- 1 can (540 mL/19oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) corn niblets (fresh, frozen or canned, drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup (250 mL) cucumber, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded carrot
- 2 green onions, sliced fine
- ¼ cup (60 mL) olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground coriander
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2mL) black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne or dash of hot sauce (optional)
Prep and Cook
- Bring water and quinoa to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and let it stand for 4 minutes.
- Rinse the black beans and drain well.
- Prepare the salad mixings in separate small bowls (this can be done the night before).
- In a small bowl mix the dressing ingredients until blended.
- Combine desired salad mixings with black beans and quinoa.
- Serve with dressing.