Simple Chocolate Cake
Baking a cake from scratch is not as daunting an undertaking as it sounds. And if you’ve forgotten to pick up chocolates for Valentine’s Day or if someone needs a pick-me-up, there’s no more comforting a dessert than a simple chocolate cake.
From Mad Hungry by Lucinda Scala Quinn, this quick and simple chocolate cake recipe gives you a special dessert to whip up at a moment’s notice.
Simple Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp coarse salt
- 6 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp white distilled vinegar
- 1 cup cold water
Prep and Cook
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In an 8-inch square cake pan, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
Make a well in the centre of the mixture.
- Into the well, add the oil, vanilla, vinegar, and water.
Stir until well combined.
Bake for 35–40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.