- 1¼ cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cups stone-ground cornmeal
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/3 ⅓ cup honey
- 2–4 Tbsp citrus zest (lemon, lime, orange, clementine)
- ¼ cup melted butter, plus extra for the baking pans
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F. Brush the mini muffin tins with a light coat of butter and set on a baking sheet.
- 2In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In a smaller bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, honey, citrus zest and melted butter.
- 3Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Fold in the poppy seeds and mix.
- 4Fill each mini muffin cup with one tablespoon of the batter. Bake for 10–11 minutes or until the muffin tops are puffed and firm. Allow to cool for 2 minutes before removing from the pan.