Your toddler will love the croutons carved from a beloved grilled cheese sandwich so much they won’t know they are drinking their veggies.
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pound asparagus, ends removed and chopped into 2” pieces
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup light cream
- 6 slices of bread
- Butter or margarine
- 1 cup coarsely grated cheddar cheese
Prep and Cook
- 1Melt the butter and olive oil in a Dutch oven. Add the onions, garlic and salt, and cook until almost translucent, about four minutes. Add the asparagus and thyme and cook for another minute.
- 2Pour in the chicken or vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the asparagus are tender.
- 3Remove thyme springs and set soup aside to cool. Note: Grilled cheese croutons can be made at this time (see recipe).
- 4Using an immersion blender, stand blender or food processor, puree the soup in small batches until completely smooth. Return to saucepan, and place over medium heat until warm. Add light cream, as well as salt and pepper, to taste.
- 5Ladle into bowls and top with grilled cheese croutons.
- 6Preheat a skillet over medium heat on the stovetop.
- 7Butter each slice of bread.
- 8Place three of the bread slices on the skillet, buttered side down. Evenly distribute ⅓ of the cheese on each slice, and top with the remaining slices of bread, buttered side up.
- 9Cook until golden brown, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the sandwich over and toast the other side.
- 10Remove the grilled cheese sandwiches from the pan and allow them to cool. Cut crusts off. Cut sandwiches into cubes and top soup with the “croutons”.