With the return of cool al fresco dining upon us, your guests will love this seasonal and creamy risotto that is certain to warm them up from the inside out.
- 4–5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp + 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 leek, dark-green ends removed, washed and sliced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- ½ pound asparagus
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- zest of half a lemon
Prep and Cook
- 1Pour the chicken or vegetable stock into a small saucepan and maintain over medium-low heat.
- 2Snap the woody ends off the asparagus and discard. Slice the remaining asparagus into ½” pieces and set aside.
- 3Add olive oil and 1 tsp butter in a large saucepan set over medium heat, and until butter is melted. Add the leek and sauté until translucent, approximately five minutes.
- 4Add the rice and stir to coat. Using a ladle, add one scoop of stock at a time to the saucepan, stirring constantly until the rice has completely absorbed the ladle of stock. When half of the stock has been incorporated, add the asparagus and peas to the pot and stir to combine. Continue adding a ladle of stock, as needed, until the rice is creamy and tender, about 15 minutes. Note: You may not need to use all of the stock.
- 5Remove the pot from the stovetop and add remaining butter, parmesan cheese and lemon zest. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.