- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 2Trim the crusts off your bread. Use a rolling pin to flatten the slices as much as you can. Butter both sides of each piece of bread, then gently press each slice into the cup of a muffin tin. Place the muffin tin on a baking sheet to make it easier to get it in and out of the oven, and put some water in the empty cups to avoid burning.
- 3Pop the tin into the oven for 10 minutes, until the bread is just beginning to turn golden (but not too brown since you’re going to bake them again!). Remove from the oven.
- 4Crack an egg into each little nest. Top with a little salt and pepper. Place the tray back in the oven for about 20 minutes. Keep an eye on them at the end. There’s nothing worse than a dried-out egg yolk. (At least to me.)
- 5Remove from the oven. Use a butter knife to gently remove the egg bakes from the muffin tin. Serve with a side of greens or fruit salad.