- 8 plum tomatoes, halved
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 5 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp spelt flour
- 2 slices spelt or multigrain bread
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 2In a medium bowl, toss the tomatoes and whole cloves of garlic with olive oil as well as salt and pepper to taste. Transfer into a large baking dish. Roast the tomatoes for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 3Remove the dish from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- 4Melt 2 Tbsp of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and rosemary and saute until the onion is translucent. Add the broth and the roasted tomatoes and garlic. Simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5Working in batches, transfer the soup to a blender and puree. Return the soup to the saucepan set over low heat. In a small frying pan, melt the remaining 1 Tbsp of butter over low heat. Add the flour and whisk continuously until blended to make a roux. Add the roux to the soup, mix to combine well and season to taste with salt and pepper. Allow to simmer uncovered for 3 more minutes.