Nothing beats a classic homemade potato salad with your summer meals…
Are visions of summer picnics or backyard barbeques dancing in your head? The perfect side to accompany a wide assortment of family-favourite meals is a classic, homemade potato salad. If you haven’t been blessed with a family recipe that’s been passed down in your family for generations, you can start the tradition in your family with this classic recipe.
Classic Homemade Potato Salad Recipe:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp prepared mustard
- 1 Tbsp grainy Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp pickle juice
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- 2 lbs potatoes (any kind, but baby reds, russet, or fingerlings work well)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- ¾ cup finely chopped celery (approx. 3 stalks)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped dill pickles
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced and quartered
- 4 green onions (white and light green parts only), thinly sliced
- Optional: paprika, for garnish
Prep and Cook
- 1To prepare the dressing, place all of the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- 2Cut the potatoes in quarters, then boil in lightly salted water until fork tender. Drain well and cool.
- 3Place potatoes and hard-boiled eggs in a large bowl and mash.
Drizzle the dressing over top and fold in the celery, pickles, radishes, and green onions.
- 4Taste for seasoning, and add more salt, mustard, or mayonnaise if needed.
Garnish with paprika, if using.
Cover with plastic wrap and transfer to the fridge for 3-4 hours to allow the flavours to marry.