The best part of this recipe is in the cranberry relish. This sweet sandwich spread is so delicious we could eat it with a spoon.
- ¼ cup cranberry relish (homemade or store bought)
- 3 Tbsp butter or mayonnaise
- Crusty bread or buns (ciabatta or foccacia work well)
- 4 cooked boneless chicken breasts, sliced
- Fresh mozzarella or provolone cheese, sliced
- 2 cups arugula or spinach leaves (optional)
- ½ tart apple, with peel
- ½ seedless orange, with peel
- 1 ½ cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- ¼ cup water
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- In small food processor, chop orange and apple into small pieces.
- Add cranberries and pulse until cranberries are coarsely chopped.
- Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add chopped fruit and simmer, stirring occasionally until sauce thickens.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
Prep and Cook
- 1Arrange cut bread on flat surface.
- 2Spread cranberry relish over one side and butter or mayonnaise on the bottom half.
- 3Arrange slices of chicken, cheese and arugula on top of the bread.
- 4If using a sandwich maker, place sandwich on hot press and grill until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- 5For the stove top method: heat a non-stick skillet and grill sandwich over low/medium heat until toasted.
- 6Flip sandwich and allow bread to toast on the other side until cheese is melted.
- 7When cooked, remove from the pan or press, cut diagonally and serve hot with a bowl of soup.
Tagged under: cranberry relish,panini,cranberries,grilled chicken,grilled chicken and cheese panini