This soup is easy for toddlers to eat. It’s perfect the way it is or blended into a more creamy texture if you think the kids are more likely to eat it that way.
- 2 lb ham bone or ham hocks
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 900ml tetra packs low sodium vegetable/chicken stock
- 3 cans white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
Prep and Cook
- 1Place ham bone or hocks in a large pot and cover with water.
- 2Bring water to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- 3Remove the bone or ham hocks from the pot and set aside to cool.
- 4Reserve 4 cups of the stock and discard the rest.
- 5When cool, remove the ham from the bone and shred or cut into chunks.
- 6In a large stock or soup pot, melt butter over low heat.
- 7Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery and rosemary and saute over medium-high heat until softened (5 minutes).
- 8Add reserved ham stock, vegetable stock, beans and ham to the pot and bring to a boil.
- 9Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- 10To serve, ladle soup into warmed bowls and serve with whole wheat bread sticks or crackers.
Tagged under: soup,soup recipe,ham and bean soup