- 2 cans (19 oz. each) navy beans or ½ lb. dried navy beans
- ½ cup diced sweet onion
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1 Tbsp grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup apple juice
- Baguette, sliced, buttered and toasted
Prep and Cook
- 1Rinse and drain the navy beans or soak and cook the dried beans according to package directions.
- 2Preheat the oven to 300°F. Combine all of the ingredients in an oven-safe pot or Dutch oven, cover, and bake for 2 hours. Remove the lid and bake for an additional 45–60 minutes to thicken the sauce.
- 3When sauce is reduced and beans have take on the colour of the sauce they are done. Serve over slices of toasted baguette with fresh fruit or veggie sticks.
- 4Feel free to tuck 2–4 slices of chopped uncooked bacon into the pot with the remainder of the ingredients to add an additional layer of flavour to the beans.
- 5Leftover tomato paste can be measured into blobs with a tablespoon. Place onto parchment paper and freeze until solid. Store in a zip top plastic bag or lidded container for up to two months.
- 6Beans are a healthy source of fibre, protein and iron.
Tagged under: maple baked beans on toasted baguette,simple meal,simple recipe