Makes 4 dozen
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cups butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 large egg white, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 6 Tbsp butter
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼–½ lb sifted powdered sugar
- Shredded coconut
- Yellow pearly sprinkles
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat the oven to 325°F. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- 2In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in a medium mixing bowl with a hand mixer), cream the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Scrape down the bowl as necessary, taking care to thoroughly incorporate the ingredients.
- 3In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg white and vanilla. Add to the butter mixture and mix well.
- 4Add the dry mixture to the butter mixture in three parts, alternating with the buttermilk. Begin and end with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined and fold in the coconut. Line a mini muffin tin with paper liners and fill each ¾ full with the batter. Bake for 13–15 minutes or until the centre is set and the tops are golden.
- 5While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting. Using an electric or handheld mixer, beat together the cream cheese, butter and vanilla, on low speed. Add the powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Frost the cupcakes and top with additional coconut and sprinkles, if desired.
Category: No Category