There’s a lot to love about chickpeas, not the least of which is their versatility. These fibrous, protein-laden legumes surprisingly shine on the breakfast table, and their wholesome makeup will keep everyone feeling full until lunchtime. Add in some eggs and cubed sweet potatoes and you’re left with a simple meal the whole family will love.
This is a great recipe for young eaters who are just starting to get the hang of fingers foods.
Serves 2 to 4
Find this recipe and over 100 more incredible dishes in Jan Scott’s new cookbook: Oven to Table: More Than 100 One Pot and One Pan Meals for Your Skillet, Sheet Pan, Dutch Oven, and More
- 1 can (19 ounces/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) smoked paprika
- Kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Spread the chickpeas on a clean kitchen towel and pat dry. On a rimmed sheet pan, combine the chickpeas, sweet potatoes, 2 tablespoons (30 mL) oil, paprika, and a pinch of salt. Toss to combine. Bake for 20 minutes, shaking the pan once halfway through the cooking time.
- 2Remove the pan from the oven and make 4 wells among the chickpeas and sweet potatoes. Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon (15 mL) oil over each well. Crack an egg into each well and season with salt and pepper.
- 3Bake for another 5 to 7 minutes or until the egg whites are set and yolks have reached the desired doneness. Sprinkle with chives and serve immediately with hot sauce on the side.
Similar Related Posts:
- February 13, 2019
Rich and Creamy Chocolate Tart - Gluten-Free and Vegan!
With Valentine’s Day approaching, I've been thinking about what special treat to make for my family.