We are officially in the middle of winter, folks.
If you’re spending the entire season in the great white north like I am, you’re probably looking for an escape from the polar vortex, too.
Sometimes an escape is an all-inclusive vacation to a sunny Caribbean island, and sometimes it’s a nice satisfying bowl of warm oats to break-up your drab breakfast routine. This recipe is sure to shoo away the winter blues for the whole family.
Creamy, dreamy peanut butter. Sweet and tangy apples. A hint of cinnamon and vanilla. Together, they give this oatmeal a distinct dessert-for-breakfast feel.
This is a perfect starter recipe for kids who want to help you out in the kitchen, too. The shortlist of common kid-approved ingredients simply need to be measured out and combined. If the measurements aren’t perfect, don’t fret, it’s a flexible recipe.
Enjoy it straight out of the oven for a great family-friendly weekend breakfast, or reheat it in individual portions throughout the week and enjoy your fabulous new #mealprep life.
Apple & Peanut Butter Baked Oatmeal
- 2 cups large flake oats
- ¼ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups milk or unsweetened non-dairy beverage
- ½ cup natural peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 small apples, peeled and chopped
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat oven to 350F
- 2In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- 3In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, peanut butter, egg and vanilla extract. Pour wet ingredient into dry ingredients and stir to combine. Stir in apples.
- 4Transfer mixture to an 8” x 8” baking dish, or something of equivalent volume. Bake for 40 minutes or until set in the middle and lightly browned on top.