Makes 4 dozen cookies
Cookie recipe adapted from Brownie Roll-Out Cookies.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp corn syrup
- ½ tsp almond or vanilla extract
Prep and Cook
- 1Whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and cinnamon and set aside. Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing completely between each addition. Add the vanilla and stir. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients. Wrap the mixture in plastic and chill for at least 1 hour.
- 2When you are ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out the door to ¼-inch thickness on a floured counter. Cut into a 1 ½” – 2” round circle and place cookies on the prepared baking sheet.
- 3Using a slightly smaller cookie cutter, make an indent in the cookie to form the edge of the button. With the flat bottom of a bamboo skewer, make four small holes in the centre of the cookie to complete the button.
- 4Bake the cookies for 6 to 8 minutes, depending on whether you want soft or crisp cookies. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- 5Combine powdered sugar, milk and corn syrup in a medium bowl and mix well. Add the extract and stir to combine. If icing is too thin, add more powdered sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until it reaches the desired consistency (so you can pipe the laces onto the cookies). If the icing appears to be too thick add more milk, if needed.
- 6Scoop the icing into a piping bag and pipe 'thread' onto the buttons connecting the holes in the centre of the cookie. Allow to harden completely before serving.
- 7The cookie dough can be made up to three days in advance. Store in the fridge until needed.
- 8If you don’t have different sized cookies cutters you can use mason jar or spice container lids to cut the cookies and make the indent.
- Brownie Roll-Out Cookies." data-media="https://www.savvymom.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Snowman-Buttons-560x560.jpg" data-postid="33284" class="prettySocial fa fa-facebook" >Share
- Brownie Roll-Out Cookies." data-via="savvymomdotca" class="prettySocial fa fa-twitter" title="TWEET">Tweet
- Brownie Roll-Out Cookies." data-media="https://www.savvymom.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Snowman-Buttons-560x560.jpg" class="prettySocial fa fa-pinterest" title="PIN">Pin