- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (28 oz. each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup red wine
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb. Italian-style turkey or pork sausage
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb. dried spaghetti
- Optional: fresh parsley
Prep and Cook
- 1Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring often.
- 2Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, sugar, oregano, wine and Worcestershire sauce to the pot and stir. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20-60 minutes, stirring often. The longer the sauce cooks the better it tastes so feel free to leave it on the stovetop for as long as possible.
- 3While the sauce is simmering remove the sausage meat from the casings and shape into 1” balls. You should get 7–8 meatballs per sausage. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet set over medium heat. Cook the meatballs in batches, turning until they are browned on all sides, about 5 minutes, and adding more oil to the pan as needed. Transfer them to the pot of simmering sauce and cook for at least 20 minutes.
- 4Fifteen minutes before you are ready to eat, cook the spaghetti as per the package directions. Spoon meatballs and sauce over the cooked pasta and serve warm. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Tagged under: dinner recipe,simple dinner recipe,spaghetti recipe,spaghetti with sausage