You want a veggie chili to be as hearty as its chili con carne sibling, and adding quinoa to this veggie chili recipe does just that. The quinoa adds great texture while also adding a complete protein. Eliminate the cheese as a garnish and this becomes a well-balanced vegan meal. The assortment of beans offers great flavour and visual interest.
Veggie Chili Recipe with Beans & Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa (red or white)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 can (28 oz) chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, fresh cilantro
Prep and Cook
- 1In a strainer, rinse quinoa under running water and drain thoroughly.
- 2Place quinoa, water and salt in a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 3Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for approximately 15 minutes (or until the water is absorbed and quinoa is tender).
- 4Remove pot from the heat, fluff with a fork, and let stand.
- 5Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat.
- 6Add onion, garlic, carrots, and celery to the pot and saute for 5 minutes or until tender.
- 7Add the remaining ingredients (minus the toppings), stirring until combined and bring to a boil.
- 8Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 30 minutes (or longer).
- 9Just before serving, stir in cooked quinoa.
- 10Ladle chili into bowls and top with shredded cheese and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.