If you can cook oatmeal, you can make risotto.
- Olive or canola oil, for cooking
- 1 Tbsp butter (plus more, if you like)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups Arborio (short-grain) rice
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock, warmed
- 1 cup cooked white beans, or half a 19 oz can, rinsed and drained
- 2 to 3 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped (optional)
- ½ to 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup packed fresh spinach leaves, torn or roughly chopped, and/or a small handful of fresh basil, torn or chopped
Prep and Cook
- 1In a medium-large saucepan, heat a drizzle of oil with the butter over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion and sausage (squeezed out of its casing), if you’re using it, until the onion is soft and the sausage is no longer pink (break it up with a spoon). Add the rice and cook for a minute, just to coat the grains with the oily juices.
- 2Add about ½ cup of stock and cook, stirring, until it’s absorbed. Continue adding stock ½ to 1 cup at a time and cook, stirring (it doesn’t have to be constantly, just frequently) until it absorbs the liquid. When it’s all used up (it should take about 30 minutes), the grains should be soft. If they still have a crunchy core, just add a little more water or stock. Add the beans along with the last addition of stock.
- 3When the rice is cooked and it’s nice and creamy, stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, cheese, lemon juice, spinach, and, if you like, another blob of butter. Stir until the cheese melts and the spinach wilts. Serve immediately.
- Spilling the Beans by Julie Van Rosendaal" data-media="https://www.savvymom.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/White-Bean-Risotto-with-Sun-Dried-Tomatoes-Spinach-Parmesan.jpg" data-postid="32082" class="prettySocial fa fa-facebook" >Share
- Spilling the Beans by Julie Van Rosendaal" data-via="savvymomdotca" class="prettySocial fa fa-twitter" title="TWEET">Tweet
- Spilling the Beans by Julie Van Rosendaal" data-media="https://www.savvymom.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/White-Bean-Risotto-with-Sun-Dried-Tomatoes-Spinach-Parmesan.jpg" class="prettySocial fa fa-pinterest" title="PIN">Pin