- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 7 cups sliced sweet onions (like Vidalia or cooking onions)
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- Balsamic vinegar (optional)
Prep and Cook
- 1Heat the oil and butter in a Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Add the onions, and stir to coat evenly in the oil mixture. Cook for 8–10 minutes, and then reduce the heat to low. Sprinkle with 1–2 teaspoons of salt and the sugar if desired (it’s not necessary but can aid in the caramelization process).
- 2Allow the onions to cook for 30–45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until deeply brown and softened. If the onions seem to be drying out during the cooking process, add some water (1–2 tablespoons at a time) to keep them moist.
- 3When the onions are finished, you may deglaze the pan with a splash of balsamic vinegar if desired.
Category: No Category