The kids will be begging you to send in the clowns when you create these adorable birthday cupcakes.
- 12 cupcakes, any flavour (light in colour works best)
- 2 cups white icing
- 1 cup blue-tinted icing
- 1 cup red-tinted icing
- Small round multi-coloured sprinkles (for the tops of the hats)
- Long yellow sprinkles (for the eyes)
- Large round piping tip
- #10 piping tip
- Piping bags
Prep and Cook
- 1Set the cupcakes out on a large work surface.
- 2Score a small circle in the centre of each cupcake. Cut a cone shape from the cupcake by inserting the knife at an angle as you go around the circle. Remove the cone from the centre of the cupcake.
- 3Using a large round tip placed inside a piping bag (or alternatively a large Ziploc bag with a hole cut in one corner), pipe icing into the cavity of the cupcake and continue over the cupcake to make a head shape.
- 4Place a small dollop of icing on the top of the cones and cover it in sprinkles. This is the clown hat. Set aside.
- 5Fill two piping bags with the red and blue icing. Fit each with a #10 tip (or alternatively use small Ziploc bags and cut a small hole in one corner) and pipe blue and red dots around the ‘clown head’ to make a ruffled collar.
- 6Place the hats on the clown head, pipe a small red dot for the nose and insert the yellow sprinkles for the eyes.
- 7To make the Big Top cupcake, place one cupcake minus the clown hat and face decorations in the centre of your cake stand. Make a paper cocktail umbrella using red and white striped paper and insert into the cupcake. Add a flag to the top if desired.
Tagged under: cupcakes,party treats,clown birthday party