- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups of diced pancetta or ham
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 540 mL can of cannellini beans (white kidney beans)
- 8 cups low sodium or organic chicken stock
- 2 cups low sodium chopped canned tomatoes
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 large red pepper sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
- Salt and pepper
Prep and Cook
- 1Heat olive oil in a very large pot over medium heat.
- 2Add onion and sauté 5 minutes.
- 3Add celery and carrots; sauté 10 minutes.
- 4Add ham and cook for another ten minutes (until brown).
- 5Add beans, stock, tomatoes, and potatoes.
- 6Bring to boil.
- 7Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour.
- 8Add red peppers and simmer for another ten minutes.
- 9Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 10Top with grated parmesan cheese and serve with warm crusty bread on the side.
Tagged under: soup,beans,ham,ham and bean soup,hearty soup