Lemony Lentil Stew
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cups dried red lentils, rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ⅓ cup fresh chopped cilantro or parsley (optional)
Prep and Cook
- Heat the oil in a skillet until shimmering. Add the onion and carrots and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Season with salt and cumin and cook for one more minute.
- Transfer the vegetables to a slow cooker. Add the lentil and stock and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
- Thin the stew with water or extra stock, if necessary. Add the lemon juice, zest and ground pepper. Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Serve hot and garnish with cilantro or parsley, if using.