- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 10 Tbsp butter, sliced into tablespoons
- 12 frozen mini pie shells
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 6 Tbsp sugar
Prep and Cook
- 1To make the curd, combine the juice, zest and sugar in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Bring to a slow simmer and reduce the heat to low.
- 2Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks in a medium sized bowl until smooth. Slowly pour half of the citrus mixture into the yolks while vigorously whisking. Return the liquid in the bowl to the saucepan.
- 3Continue to cook over low heat while whisking until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 5–10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the butter, one tablespoon at a time.
- 4Cool to room temperature and fill the pastry shells with the lemon curd. Refrigerate while you work on the meringue topping.
- 5To make the meringue, beat the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar with an electric mixer until stiff glossy peaks are formed. Place the meringue in a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip and squeeze meringue onto each lemon tart.
- 6Place the tarts under the broiler for 30–60 seconds or until the meringue is golden brown in colour. (Watch them the entire time because they can burn quickly.)