This recipe takes only a few minutes to put together, and you can let it simmer quietly while you go on to do other things.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup finely chopped carrot
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ¼ cup cream
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 796 ml can Italian plum tomatoes, pureed
- 1 cup chicken stock (homemade or low sodium)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb orecchiette or other short shaped pasta
- grated parmesan cheese
Prep and Cook
- 1Heat olive oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or other heavy wide-based pot. Add onion, carrot and celery and cook for 12 minutes or until soft and beginning to brown.
- 2Add garlic and sauté 1 minute or until fragrant.
- 3Turn heat to high, add chicken, and sauté, stirring for 3 minutes or until it is no longer pink.
- 4Add cream, bring to a boil, and boil, stirring, for 3 minutes or until it has almost disappeared.
- 5Add wine, bring to a boil, and boil for 3 minutes or until it has almost disappeared. Add tomatoes and stock, bring to a boil, turn down to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 40-45 minutes or until sauce is thick and very flavourful (you should have about 4 cups).
- 6Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Boil pasta according to package directions.
- 8Toss with sauce and serve with parmesan cheese.
Tagged under: chicken,orecchiette,ground chicken bolognese sauce,bolognese sauce