- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup cold butter, frozen
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, diced
- 6 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tsp water)
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- 2Prepare the bacon and allow it to cool completely before crumbling it. Add it to the diced cheese and set aside.
- 3In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Grate the frozen butter on a box grater and add it to the flour, mixing it all together with your fingers until a mealy consistency is reached.
- 4Lightly whip the eggs and milk and add to the flour and butter mixture. Add the bacon and cheese mixture. Using the end of a wooden spoon, stir the mixture until it begins to blend together.
- 5Turn out the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead gently. Press the dough into a one-inch thick circle and cut out using round cookie cutters or cut into wedges, like a pie.
- 6Place the scones on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and brush with the egg wash. Sprinkle the tops with the oregano and bake for 15 to 20 minutes (depending on the size of your scone) or until golden brown.