- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup quinoa
- ½ lb peeled and deveined frozen shrimp, thawed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 cup black beans (if using canned, rinsed and drained)
- ½ cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 2 green onions, sliced
- ½ cup cooked corn kernels
- Romaine lettuce or mixed greens
- 1 medium avocado (about ½ cup)
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup olive oil
Prep and Cook
- 1Combine the chicken stock and quinoa in a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the pot from the stove and allow the quinoa to rest for 5 minutes, covered. Fluff with a fork, transfer to a bowl and cool to room temperature.
- 2Meanwhile, combine the shrimp, oil, salt and chili powder in a small bowl. Heat a skillet over medium heat and cook the shrimp just until it turns pink, about 2 minutes per side. Set aside.
- 3When the quinoa has cooled, add the shrimp (and pan juices), beans, tomatoes, onions and corn kernels to the bowl, and mix thoroughly.
- 4To make the dressing, combine the avocado, lime juice, garlic, salt, buttermilk and olive oil in a blender and blend until smooth.
- 5Serve the quinoa salad over a bed of chopped romaine or mixed greens, and top with the avocado dressing.
Tagged under: gluten-free quinoa and shrimp salad,avocado dressing,gluten-free salad recipe