- 1 ⅓ cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup light molasses
- ½ cup hot coffee
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ginger
- 2 tsp grated orange peel
- 1 tsp salt
- 6–7 cups flour
- 2 ½ cups icing sugar
- 2 ½ tbsp cream
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Splash of lemon (or orange) juice
Prep and Cook
- 1Cream the butter and sugar.
- 2Add molasses and coffee.
- 3Add cinnamon, ginger, salt and orange peel.
- 4Transfer to a mixing bowl and slowly add the flour, mixing as you go (you’ll need a strong arm).
- 5Once the dough is stiff but soft, kneed it on a lightly floured cutting board for 10 minutes (this is key). Put into a container and cover, refrigerating for up to two hours.
- 6Once it’s ready, take small amounts, roll it out, and create your shapes. If you keep the dough thicker, the cookies will be softer. For crunchier cookies, make it thinner.
- 7Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- 8Cook for 12–15 minutes (cook longer if you want crispier cookies)
- 9Let cool for 20 minutes before icing.
- 10Blend ingredients together.
- 11Let it sit in the refrigerator covered for an hour.
- 12If you don’t have an icing tube, use a plastic sandwich bag. Just cut a tiny corner off at the bottom, and put your icing inside, zipping it up. Squeeze and decorate.
Category: No Category