The potatoes do all the work in this delicious main course recipe—they’re not just a savvy side dish anymore.
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3½ cups milk
- 6 Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1½ cups cooked ham, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- 3Add flour, salt and pepper, cook, stirring until smooth.
- 4Gradually whisk in milk, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens.
- 5Set aside.
- 6Arrange 1/2 of the sliced potatoes, 1/2 of the onion, 1/2 of the ham and all of the grated cheese in the bottom of a lightly buttered 9" x 13" casserole dish.
- 7Top that layer with the next 1/2 of potatoes, 1/2 of the onion and 1/2 of the ham.
- 8Repeat potato layer.
- 9Pour the sauce over the potatoes, cover loosely with tin foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- 10Uncover and continue baking until potatoes are tender and casserole is bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- 11Let stand for approximately 10 minutes before serving.
- 12To Make Ahead and freeze, cook as per instructions with cover on. Let cool, then place in freezer. To reheat, let thaw then cook with cover off at 325 for 30 minutes.