These hearty and healthy scones are a great snack for anyone, but can easily be made into a Toddler Meal served up with soup, chili or a spread of apple butter or natural fruit spread.
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- ⅔ cup soy or skim milk
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup canola or safflower oil
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat oven to 400.
- 2Boil or steam sweet potato, drain, mash and cool.
- 3Combine milk and juice and let stand 10 minutes, until thickens to buttermilk consistency.
- 4In large bowl, combine flours, soda, powder, sugar and salt.
- 5Add sweet potato, milk and oil. Combine to form soft dough.
- 6Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Press out to 1 inch thick and cut into triangles.
- 7Place on baking sheet 1/2 inch apart and bake 15 minutes or until brown.
Tagged under: toddler recipe,scone recipe,sweet potato scone