A classic Shepherd’s Pie gets a healthy update with the addition of sweet potatoes and ground turkey. It’s a great crowd pleaser that freezes well.
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 or 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 or 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ lb ground turkey
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
Prep and Cook
- 1Wrap sweet potato in foil and bake at 400 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes, until soft. Allow sweet potato to cool slightly before scooping out the flesh.
- 2Simmer potatoes in boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender. Mash potatoes and sweet potatoes together with butter and milk. Combine well until they are a single colour.
- 3Saute onion and garlic in 1 Tbsp olive oil until they begin to soften. Add cumin, cinnamon, soy sauce and cocoa powder and mix well. Add the ground turkey and brown completely. Drain excess liquid. Set aside.
- 4In a pan with 1 Tbsp of olive oil over medium heat, saute carrots for about 5 minutes. Then add yellow peppers and cook for 3 minutes. Add peas and corn and saute for another 2 or 3 minutes until all the vegetables are just tender.
- 5In a casserole dish, place the meat mixture on the bottom, followed by a layer of the vegetables. Spoon the mashed potatoes on top and press into the edges so that they completely cover the vegetables.
- 6Place in the oven for about 20 minutes at 375 until the potatoes just start to brown.