When it comes to salads, we use the term ‘recipe’ very loosely. Rather then tracking down and following a recipe, we like to take stock of what we’ve got on hand and create something unique every time.
Take this big summer salad. It’s loaded with healthy goodness (think vibrant greens, omega-rich avocado, crisp radishes, and protein-filled quinoa), filling enough to be served as your main meal, and super easy to make.
So the next time you’re thinking of what salad to make, simply grab whatever greens, veggies, grains, and bread you’ve got on hand and create your own delicious concoction.
Serve with any grilled fish, chicken, or beef.
- 1 baguette, cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4-6 cups baby arugula and baby spinach
- 6 radishes, scrubbed, trimmed, and thinly sliced
- 1 large avocado, peeled and diced
- 3 baby cucumbers, diced
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds (optional)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Pinches of sea salt & freshly ground pepper
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat oven to 400 F.
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Spread baguette cubes over baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil, sea salt & pepper.
Toss to coat well and spread in an even layer.
Bake for 10-12 minutes, until just golden.
Remove from oven and let cool.
- 2Place greens in a large salad bowl.
Add a couple handfuls of croutons, sliced radishes, avocado, cucumber & quinoa.
Toss to combine.
- 3In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon, salt & pepper, until emulsified.
Drizzle over salad and toss well.
Store remainder of dressing in refrigerator