- 8 baking potatoes, washed
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups chopped cooked broccoli
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet. Rub them with the canola oil and bake for 1 hour, making sure they're sufficiently cooked through.
- 2Slice the butter into pats. Place in a large mixing bowl and add the sour cream. Remove the potatoes from the oven. Lower the heat to 350 degrees F.
- 3With a sharp knife, cut each potato in half lengthwise. Scrape out the insides into the mixing bowl, being careful not to tear the shell. Leave a small rim of potato intact for support. Lay the potato shells on a baking sheet.
- 4Smash the potatoes into the butter and sour cream. Add the cheese, milk, broccoli, green onions, salt and pepper to the potatoes and mix well. If the mixture seems too dry, add up to ¼ cup more milk and stir. Fill the potato shells with the filling so they are heaping (you want them to look abundant).
- 5Top each potato with a little more grated cheese, and then return to the oven until the potato is warmed through, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Note: You can make the recipe through to Step 4 up to 24 hours in advance. Cover and place in the refrigerator. Remove an hour before you plan on baking the potatoes. Follow the instructions in step 5 but bake for 20 to 25 minutes instead.