Pancakes are practically a religion for my family. In the winter months, we eat them several times a week, if only to have an excuse to lap up the pure maple syrup we adore.
With Pancake Tuesday taking place last week, and sugaring-off season fast approaching, I thought it might be fun to do a pancake primer in anticipation of the upcoming maple syrup season.
Eight Tips to Perfect Pancakes
- Use buttermilk whenever possible. I do believe the subtle tangy flavour imparted by this liquid makes the pancakes better.
- Don’t over mix the pancakes; lumps are okay. In fact, make sure you see a few in your bowl, otherwise your pancakes will be too dense.
- Pancakes can be made in advance. Keep them warm by placing them on a plate or baking sheet and tucking them into a 200°F oven until you’re ready to serve them (but not for longer than one hour, or they will dry out).
- If you are adding chocolate chips or blueberries to the pancakes, add them to the pools of batter just after it’s been poured into the skillet.
- Use butter instead of oil to grease your pan. To ensure an even distribution, brush melted butter over the entire surface of the skillet.
- Flip the pancakes as soon as you see the bubbles appear on the surface. Don’t wait until they break, or the pancakes will be flat and not fluffy.
- Keep the temperature of your griddle or pan to somewhere between low and medium. If it’s too hot the bottoms will burn quickly.
- Use the best maple syrup your budget can afford. I promise, you won’t be sorry!
Similar Related Posts:
- May 30, 2018
7 Healthy Grab & Go Breakfast Bars for Busy Mornings
If you’re tired of eating your kids’ leftovers as you rush out the door in the morning, here are a few morning meal lifesavers. We've rounded up some healthy (and tasty) breakfast bars that will help hold you over.
- February 8, 2018
Homemade Whole Wheat and Oats Pancake Mix in a Jar
Making your own pancake mixes are pretty simple and beneficial. They're typically made with things you likely have on hand, and in addition to the health benefits of homemade goods versus packaged ones, you'll also save a bit of money.
- December 18, 2017
Christmas Morning Menu Ideas: Build-Your-Own Breakfast Bar
Instead of stressing about what to serve on Christmas morning, take the guesswork out of the meal and the pressure off yourself and set up a crowd-pleasing DIY breakfast bar.