Kids will be popping out of their seats for a slice of this adorable cake.
- 1 – 9”x13” cake, any flavour
- 2 cups white or vanilla frosting
- Red sanding sugar
- Mini marshmallows
- 5 strips of paper, half an inch wide
Prep and Cook
- 1Place the baked cake on a cake board or serving platter. Cut the corners off the top of the cake, and round the edges. Place the cake in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- 2Apply a very thin layer of white frosting to the entire cake. This is called a crumb coat, and it will seal in any crumbs so they don’t end up in the icing. Return the cake to the freezer and allow the icing to harden, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- 3Ice the entire cake with a thick layer of frosting, covering all of the sides and the top of the cake.
- 4Place the strips of paper on the bottom 2/3 of the cake, leaving a ½ inch space between each piece.
- 5Cover the exposed parts of the cake with a generous amount of red sanding sugar. Carefully remove the strips of paper.
- 6Press the mini marshmallows into the top 1/3 of the cake (they will stick nicely to the frosting). Cover the sides of the top of the cake as well. To give some texture (and popcorn look) to the marshmallow pieces, make an “X” shape in each piece with the backside of knife, but don’t cut through.
- 7Scatter marshmallows over the cake board to look like the popcorn is overflowing out of the bag.