What even is Kale Colcannon?! Colcannon is a traditional Irish recipe, typically made by incorporating cabbage or kale into mashed potatoes. Ultimately it’s a hearty side dish made of creamy mashed potatoes mixed with cabbage, kale, chard, or other greens, and a generous slab of butter.
Kale Colcannon Recipe
- 4 russet or Yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 5 Tbsp butter, divided
- 3-4 cups finely chopped kale (or cabbage or Swiss chard)
- 3 green onions
- 1 cup milk or light cream
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
Prep and Cook
- 1Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water.
Add a large pinch of salt and place over high heat.
Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and cook until the potatoes are fork tender.
Drain the potatoes and return the pot to the stove.
- 2Place 4 tablespoons of the butter in the pot to melt.
Add the kale and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes.
Add the green onions and cook for one minute more.
Pour the milk into the pot and cook until warmed through.
- 3Return the potatoes to the pot and mash with the back of a wooden spoon or potato masher.
Add the parsley and season well with salt and pepper.
- 4Spoon the warm potatoes into a serving bowl and top with the remaining tablespoon of butter. Serve warm.