Lemon and Raspberry Birthday Cake with Swiss Meringue Frosting
Serves 8 to 12
- 1 vanilla cake recipe (homemade or store-bought), enough to make two 8” cakes
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 cup raspberry jam
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1¾ cups butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pink gel-paste food colouring
- Piping bag
- Large round tip
- Small round tip (#10)
- Tissue paper flower toppers
Prep and Cook
- Add the lemon zest to the cake batter and bake as per the recipe directions. Allow the cakes to cool for five minutes before removing them from the pans. Place the cakes on cooling racks and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- While the cakes are cooling, make the icing. Place the egg whites and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer, and set it over a pot of simmering water, whisking the mixture until the sugar is completely dissolved and the egg whites are hot to the touch—about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the bowl back to the mixer and whisk the egg whites on high speed with the whisk attachment until the mixture has cooled and stiff peaks have formed—about 10 minutes.
- Switch to the paddle attachment, and add butter one piece at a time. Beat the icing well after each butter addition.
- Add the vanilla and beat for an additional five minutes to remove any air pockets that have formed.
- Add a small dollop of pink colouring to the icing and stir it in by hand using a rubber spatula.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and store it at room temperature until ready to use.
- To assemble the cake, fit a piping bag with a large round tip and fill it with ¾ cups of frosting.
- Place one of the cake layers flat side up (or upside down) on a cake stand or plate and pipe a border around the top of the cake. Fill the centre with jam and spread it to the edges of the cake where it will meet with the icing.
- Place the second layer of cake on top, flat side up (or upside down). Ice the cake with the pink frosting, carefully covering the cake evenly.
- Switch the tip on the piping bag with the small round tip and pipe a border around the base and top edge of the cake.
- Decorate the cake with tissue paper flower toppers and serve.