These salmon fish cakes are always a hit for their versatility. We like to serve them to guests as an appie with dipping sauce or with a green salad as a light meal.
- 3 large potatoes (1½ lb/675 g)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp light mayonnaise
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tsp chives, finely chopped
- 2 tsp cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 - 6 oz cooked salmon filets, flaked
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- ¼ cup flour
- Lemon wedges
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp lemon rind
- ¼ cup light sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- ¼ cup cucumber, sliced into matchsticks
Prep and Cook
- 1Wash, peel and cut potatoes into chunks.
- 2Place potatoes in a large pot of boiling water and cook for approximately 15 minutes or until tender.
- 3Drain well, mash thoroughly, and season with salt and pepper.
- 4Transfer to a large bowl, add mayonnaise, lemon, egg, chives and cilantro to the potatoes and gently mix until combined.
- 5Fold in flaked salmon.
- 6Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- 7Using a floured surface, roll salmon mixture into a ball and then flatten to form chunky patties (approximately 2 1/2 cm thick).
- 8Dip salmon cakes in beaten egg mixture and then coat with breadcrumbs.
- 9In a non-stick skillet, over medium heat, heat 1 Tbsp of oil.
- 10Cook patties 3 or 4 minutes per side or until golden brown, then repeat with remaining patties.
- 11Alternatively, salmon cakes can be baked at 400 degrees for approximately 25 minutes.
- 12In a small bowl, stir together dip ingredients.
Tagged under: salmon,salmon cakes