- 2 Tbsp olive oil, plus extra for the steaks
- 12 oz. fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise
- Salt and pepper
- 2 8 oz. strip or top sirloin steaks
- 1 head green or red leaf lettuce
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- Store-bought or homemade ranch-style dressing
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
Prep and Cook
- 1Heat two tablespoons of oil in a cast iron or heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes, cut side down, and cook until the bottoms are browned, about 5 minutes.
- 2Turn potatoes over and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until brown and tender, an additional 7-8 minutes. Remove the potatoes from the skillet.
- 3Using the same pan or an outdoor grill cook the steak. Brush olive oil over both sides and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until well browned yet slightly pink inside (about 5 minutes per side for a medium steak). Let the steaks rest while preparing the salad.
- 4To make the salad, divide the lettuce leaves evenly between the plates. Arrange the tomatoes and cucumber over top, and cover with potato pieces. Thinly slice the steaks against the grain and divide between the plates, placing the meat down the middle of each salad. Spoon dressing over top and garnish with green onions.
- 5To prepare for toddlers, cut pieces of the steak and potato into miniscule pieces and served with chopped cherry tomatoes and cucumber slices (you can remove the skin if you like). Add a small container of dressing for dipping.
- 6To prepare for school-aged kids, place the salad ingredients in rows on a platter and ask kids to build their own salads, choosing the ingredients they like, but insisting they take at least one veggie. Serve the dressing on the side.
- 7Tweens and teens generally like this salad as is because it contains pieces of popular dinner items like steak and potatoes.
- 8To make the salad a little more special for the adults, replace the ranch dressing with a blue cheese or buttermilk herb variety.
Tagged under: steak salad,steakhouse salad,salad recipe