Makes 8 (125 mL) jars
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 - 50 g packet powdered pectin
- 4 cups apple cider
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
Prep and Cook
- 1To prepare, boil clean jars in a water bath for 10 minutes to sterilize. Leave them in the hot water until you’re ready to fill them. Place the sealing lids and rings in a small saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Leave in the hot water until ready to use.
- 2Combine the sugar and pectin in a large saucepan and whisk to combine. Add the apple cider, orange zest and spices, and bring to boil, cooking over medium-high heat for 15-25 minutes, stirring frequently, until the volume is greatly reduced.
- 3Clip a candy thermometer to the pot and cook until it reaches 220°F and the syrupy is thick and glossy. Divide the jelly evenly between the prepared jars. Wipe the rims clean, apply the lids and rings.
- 4Process in a water bath for 10 minutes. Remove the jars from the water, and allow to cool on a counter. You should hear all of the jars 'pop' as they cool, a sign that they have sealed properly.
Tagged under: edible gifts,apple cider jelly,christmas gifts