Roasted Beet and Apple Salad
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry dough, freezer section
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 leek, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp fresh tarragon or thyme, chopped
- Sprigs of tarragon or thyme for presentation
- 2 cups chicken, chopped (leftovers from the Family Meal)
- 2 cups spinach or mixed greens
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 basting brush
- 1 extra large muffin tin (six to a pan)
Prep and Cook
- 1Defrost frozen phyllo in refrigerator over night.
- 2Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 3Brush 6-cup muffin tins with melted butter using pastry brush.
- 4Unfold phyllo dough onto flat work surface and cover with damp dish towel to prevent pastry dough from drying out.
- 5Remove top sheet and place on work surface keeping the original pile covered.
- 6Brush single sheet of phyllo dough with buttered brush, then top with a second layer of phyllo, butter and repeat with a third sheet of phyllo and butter.
- 7Cut into 6 six inch squares and gently press into muffin tins, allowing the pastry to fall over the edges.
- 8Brush the inside of the cups with any remaining butter.
- 9Bake until golden, about 5 minutes.
- 10Melt butter in a medium size saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, leek, garlic, potato and carrot and saute until softened. Stir in white wine and chicken stock and simmer for about 15 minutes until vegetables are cooked.
- 11Shake together in a covered jar, flour, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over the vegetables, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens.
- 12Add chopped chicken, mushrooms and fresh tarragon to the vegetables.
- 13Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 14Cover and set aside to cool if you are making it ahead of time or keep on the stovetop on low heat to keep warm.
- 15Toss spinach, pomegranate seeds and toasted almonds with your favourite vinaigrette dressing.
- 16Place salad on the centre of the plate and leave a spot in the middle for the phyllo cup.
- 17Fill phyllo cup with chicken mixture and place in the centre of the salad.
- 18Serve immediately.
Category: No Category