- 1 (4 ½ – 5 lb) roasting chicken
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh tarragon/thyme (optional)
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh sage (optional)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Cooking spray
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Line roasting pan with a rack, coated with cooking spray.
- 3Remove giblets and neck from inside of chicken.
- 4Rinse chicken inside and out with cold water and pat dry with paper towel. Season the inside of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- 5Stuff the chicken cavity with lemon, garlic, onion, and fresh herbs.
- 6Rub the outside of the chicken with softened butter and season with salt and pepper.
- 7Place chicken, breast side up, on rack in roasting pan, in the middle of the oven. Baste frequently with drippings from the pan (the more you baste, the better it tastes).
- 8Roast uncovered for 1½ to 2 hours or until juices run clear when pierced.
- 9Transfer chicken from the pan to a cutting board or serving platter (place chicken breast side down to ensure white meat is juicy) and tent loosely with foil. Let chicken sit for 10 minutes before carving.
Category: No Category