- 1 cup medium-grain cornmeal
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup honey
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup butter
- ½ cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup grated aged cheddar cheese
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F and heat a 10″ cast-iron skillet in the oven for 10 minutes.
- 2Whisk the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl combine the milk, honey and egg.
- 3Remove the skillet from the oven and add the butter. Swirl around the pan until melted. Pour the butter into the egg mixture and whisk to combine. Add the egg mixture, dill and ¾ cups of the cheese to the cornmeal, and stir, taking care not to over mix the batter; it should be wet and runny.
- 4Pour the batter into the skillet, scatter the remaining cheese over the top and bake until the edges are browned and a tester inserted into the centre comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool in the skillet for 10 minutes, and serve directly from the pan.
Tagged under: cheese cornbread,skillet cornbread,cornbread