- 1 8” cake board or piece of cardboard cut to size
- 1 8” cake (two layers) from recipe or cake mix
- 3–4 cups dark chocolate frosting
- Horse figurine
- Wooden skewers
- Miscellaneous ribbon and/or fabric
Prep and Cook
- 1Spread a small amount of icing on the cake board and top with one of the cake layers. Frost the top of the layer and set the second cake layer on top of the first, flat side up.
- 2Frost the entire cake completely, using a little more icing than usual to cover the cake. You want it thick, but don’t worry about making it perfectly smooth. Using a teaspoon or palette knife, swirl the frosting over the entire cake to create a ripple effect.
- 3Tie pieces of ribbon or fabric to 5 wooden skewers, and insert them into the centre of the cake, staggering the height of each. Place the horse figurine on the cake and transfer to a cake platter or stand.
Tagged under: western birthday,western birthday cake,horse cake